Friday, May 2, 2008

My kingdom has a shed

I was dreading this day all month long. I knew that Saturday was a day that Chuck wanted to put up a shed. Ok, well, we don't work well together in things like that, so I really didn't want to do it. "Get your dad to help out, or better yet, get MY dad to help you out. I want to still love you when the day is over." Basically, I did not want to help put together a rubber shed. And I was adamant about it too!

Little did I know that all along, he was planning on getting his dad help him put the thing together. That was a good thing, really it was!

On Wednesday, Chuck took off to Home Depot to go pick out the shed. He spotted one that he thought was perfect. On Thursday he went over there to pay for it, but hit a snag. The young lady at the register thought they were getting more of the Rubbermaid 8 x 6 sheds in, and she also thought that they could sell the display. So, he gets there and was told by the manager that they can't sell the display model because someone will have to take it apart and put together another one. They weren't going to Chattanooga to pick one up for him, because they were getting more in on the 23rd. Chuck explained to him that the 23rd would be too late and he didn't really understand why they couldn't sell the display or pick one up. Especially since we were planning on spending quite a bit of money, but since they weren't willing to work with us, we would go to Lowe's. And so he did. They didn't have the one that he was looking for, but he did find one that was 6x6. That will work getting the stuff out of the, out from under the house, off the carport, away from the front of the house, and the toys from the back yard.

Saturday morning came with more than just a shed. My dad picked up the boys to take them to breakfast and then fishing. Ok, this is a good thing. Of course another day of getting out of bed by 6:30 to get them up and ready to go by 7:30. Ah, the life of a mother --- never dull, trust me on this!

I took off shopping after they left and was constantly bothered by text messages from Chuck. Asking about this and that, how long will I be, what am I buying, I need this, you need this. What usually takes about 40 minutes turned into well over 2 hours to get done. Not what I really needed, but I got all that I had to get and I was not heading out for anything else. That was a good thing.

I got home from the store to an empty house. It felt weird to say the least. But I needed that to get the things I had planned on getting done, done that day. Unloaded all the groceries. You never realize how much you buy until you have to unload everything yourself. But the new bags from the store hold a lot more than the plastic and when you only have 4 or 5 to carry in, you don't realize all that is in there.

Chuck got home when I got done, go figure! And told me that he was meeting his dad at Lowe's and to start getting the area cleaned up around the carport and the area where the shed was going. I did, picked up all the baseballs, footballs, and soccer balls in the yard, put them in a clean container so the boys know where they are. Moved the grill, chair and cooler out of the way so that way they can back the truck up and unload the shed. And they did just that.

I helped unload off the truck, why not, I was right there. It would be rude for me not to offer any help. And then I let them get on their way.

You can get a good look how big the yard is back there.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I was on my way to cleaning closets. The bathroom, that I have tried to clean before and the boys (all of them) just keep putting things where they want them. And the hall closet, the one that housed the weedeater, hedge trimmers and all car stuff. I had enough, and it was going to get cleaned out so I can put my canning jars and supplies in there. Along with some other things. I was tired of putting things in the cabinets, on top of the fridge, in my closet and under my bed. So I went at it. Threw away things that needed to be gone, consolidated things that needed to be put together, moved stuff from one shelf to another and pretty much cleaned everything that needed to be taken care of.

I got outside occasionally to take some pics. Yes, I know it is a shed, but this was a time for Chuck and his dad to work together with minimal interruptions. I could have helped, but this time I thought that they would be fine working together on a project. And with the boys gone, this was the perfect chance.

It went up fairly quickly. It should, they have everything marked on which way the arrows go to lock it and with very detailed instructions, it was a project that was quick and to the point.

They worked together so nicely. I only heard Chuck say once to his dad that he needed to pay attention. And then when my dad got back with the boys, he told them to stop gossiping like 2 hens. So, it worked out nicely that they had a beautiful day and got it done.

Eric got home in time to help too. I guess that is a good thing. He does enjoy helping with things like that. Only if you can get him to listen, that is. But he waited in there to help out, and he had the chance.

My dad? Well, I waited for him to give instruction, but he figured that they got that far without his help that they can finish up just fine. It was nice though, to see my father-in-law and my dad chit chat for a little while. They don't see each other much but it is nice for them to get together, talk and have lunch. And the 3 of them went to lunch as soon as it got done.

Chuck bought some shelfing when he picked up the shed.He got home from lunch and we put that together. A small shelf big enough to hold the things like the car wash stuff, the gardening stuff and the things that really needed to be out of the house. It was wonderful to have a closet to be able to put things in, and to have some kind of organization in the house.

Now the 6x6 may be a little snug. It actually filled up faster than I thought it would. But it now houses the lawn mower, hedge trimmer, weedeater, gardening stuff, tool box and a bunch of other things. It is nice to have extra space and I don't have to go far to get the gardening stuff either.