Monday, July 16, 2007

Canning and Preserving

I bought a pressure canner. I am so excited to use it. I don't have any kids this week, so I don't know if I am gonna have time to use it or not. I will have plenty of time on my hands, but I am gonna spend time with my honey. I had the option of going away to Pigeon Forge or do things in the area. I chose the latter of the two. I am more comfortable in my own home, I don't have to pack and I can sleep in my own bed. Plus I don't want to have to worry about someone taking care of the cat.
Anyway, I went out Saturday and I got the last of the pressure canners at Ace. I was so excited that I couldn't wait to get home and open it. I didn't have time to play with it Saturday, but I took some time on Sunday to look into this thing!
It is huge, 22 qt pot that holds 7 qt jars, 14 pint jars and 21 half pint jars. WHOO HOO! I have a new toy!
So, I get it out of the box and start looking for the instructions. I had them in my hand, and then poof, they are gone! Go figure in my house. I looked everywhere, bedroom, bathroom, pool table, nope, can't find it anywhere. I found it, under PJ's butt, the one place that I didn't think to look.
Ok, let's get started. I am scared to death of this thing. First of all, the sucker is HUGE and very heavy. I open the book and follow the directions to the T. Put the eye on high and wait until that little thing on the top jiggles. I don't leave that things side. I stay right there with it. It starts to jiggle and I turn it down to the that it just has a slow rock to it. And turn it off. Take it off the eye and go on your merry way, but wait for it to cool down before opening it up.
I didn't have time yesterday to can some corn, but I will. I will also be doing white chili, soups and stews. I am so excited. I can't wait to have all this stuff in my cabinet. That way all I have to do it take out a jar, heat it up along with the rest of the dinner and have a meal made in about 15 minutes. All natural, all good stuff.
I want my kids to eat well. They deserve to have a life that is full of good eats! But they deserve to have a good dinner every meal. I don't want them to grow up eating junk.
Am I overprotective of them? You betcha I am. But with them eating a good meal, I know that they will grow up appreciating the work that they and I put into all of them.
Do I pick apart my meals when we go out? I sure do. I always think that I can make them better. And most of the time I do.
I am happy that I have this chance in my life to do this for all of us. And for those of you that are close enough to me, don't be surprised if you get jars that I may make too much of. Oh well, enjoy life to the fullest, and that is what I plan on doing!

0 comments: