Saturday, June 9, 2007

Trying to make my yard look better, some hurt feelings too.

Ok, I am not a landscaper. I don't claim to be. I don't even claim to like yard work. Nope, hate the thought that I need to work in the yard. I always seem to be the one that trims the hedges or out there doing the work. Chuck always says that he will get around to it, I end up doing it. Two years ago I got tired of looking at the huge shrubs out of control in front of my lovely window. So, I got the idea that I can run the electric hedge trimmer. So, I got some done, and I have the trimmer in my left hand, and I laid my fingers on the running trimmer. I walked away with some major cut fingers. And a slap on the wrist not to run it again.
Before I did anything:



This past weekend I got tired of looking at the shrubs again, and I got the trimmer out and started cutting. All digits intact! But the shrubs were so high, that I strained my back. I was laid up for 2 days, not walking straight, but I got it done! Not all of it though, I am so short that I couldn't get all the way in the back by my lovely window. Oh well, I will have to tackle that when I get back from vacation.
Also, in my front yard is my bedroom window. We have been at this house for nearly 7 years, and I am just now starting to do something in the front. So the little bit in the front needed some help.
It was desperate for some attention. So, I bought some dwarf nandinas and decided that I was gonna plant them. I go out there and the dirt is so hard that I have to use both feet on the shovel, and it still doesn't move! Ok, try somewhere else, in the end, I got done. I mulched up what I did, and now I am looking for a border for the front. I think it looks nice after I got done:



So, I showed my neighbor. The lazy neighbor that is. Her husband does all the yard work. And it is a perfectly manicured yard. Not a piece of mulch out of place. That is how it is. It is a nice yard, but I don't have that kind of time.
Now mind you, I am trying to do this yard work stuff. So I decided to show her. I know her, if she doesnt' say anything, she doesn't think it looks good. She didn't say anything at all. Didn't mention it, just looked and walked on. Ok, it is not the best, but tell me what I did wrong. Tell me what I need. I may need a landscaper! But I am trying, don't put me down because I am making an effort.
Oh well. I tried. I will do more. I am looking for suggestions. I got some wonderful ones from someone already. But I am willing to do something different in the yard. It will look nice. I am willing to put the work into the yard and say that I did it myself.
At least I will be able to say that I did it myself. And at least I know that I am not lazy to the point that I have to tell my husband that he has to do the yard work. I would love to have a landscaper, but that is not in the cards. So, BHG comes in handy!

0 comments: