Saturday, June 23, 2007

Yummy!!! A good thing!

I love to cook and anyone that knows me knows that I love to cook. I will try to cook anything. I have a family that will let me experiment on them.

While on vacation we spent a lot of money at the bakery. It was THAT good. The Friday before we left, Chuck took off to get coffee and stopped to see what they had at the bakery. He came back with these huge sticky buns and these egg thingys made in a muffin tin. They had bacon, sausage, ham and cheese loaded down in it. They were so good!

I knew that Lisa had sent me something similiar to it, so I had to be very nice to her and beg her to send it to me again. So, Lisa being the wonderful person that she is gave me the recipe.

I decided that last Saturday I would attempt another experiment on the boys. Scramble the eggs, salt and pepper. Fry and crumble bacon, tear ham, shred cheese.Handful of bisquik. Spray pan, turn oven on 400. Fill pan with the good, pour 1/4 cup egg and bake for 12-15 minutes. Now attempt to get out of the pan! They don't move that easily, but they came out.

Ok, they didn't taste anything like the ones on the island. But they were good. Different.

Today was the Women's Fellowship at church, and I wanted to bring something different, so I tweaked my recipe. I made 2 dozen of these things this morning, and this is what I did:

20 eggs
Splash of milk
handful of bisquik
salt (I use Kosher)
fresh ground black pepper
1 lb bacon, fried and crumbled (this is where the food processor comes in handy)
6 slices of ham, torn
shredded sharp cheese (the sharp works wonderfully)
1/2 green pepper
1/4 onion (both chopped finely)

I made several with bacon and ham, pepper, onion, and bacon. I had cheese in all of them. I scrambled the eggs in the Kitchenaid, added the milk, salt, pepper and bisquik, on high to beat air in it. This time I used crisco in the pan, loaded them up and poured the egg in. Baked until done. Take out of oven, let them rest for just a minute and attempt to get out of the pan in one piece.

The crisco didn't work, the spray didn't work, I don't know what is gonna work. But I got them out in almost one piece and took them to church.

I get them to church, LATE. But I had whole grain homemade biscuits. And 21 of the egg muffins (the boys had some before we left). Eric opened them up, and all the women were curious to see what I brought.

So, they find their way to the table, and nearly all disappear. Within minutes, they were gone. Doesn't surprise me, but what did surprise me was how many wanted the recipe. Women were coming up to me just begging me for information. My recipes are not a secret. I figure if it helps someone else, they can have it.

My only advice is to try the spray with flour. Baker's Joy or Pam with flour. Maybe that would help some. The eggs stick terribly, and getting them out is a chore.

My thanks to Lisa for the original recipe. My thanks to the Lighthouse Bakery in Dauphin Island for making them so good.

Go ahead, try something different, something really good!

0 comments: