Monday, June 1, 2009

My first cake

I am trying something new. I don't know if I will be able to do much, but I am trying to learn how to make cakes.

So I thought for my first cake, I would make something for Adrienne's graduation party. I went round and round on what I wanted to make. I thought of half white, half yellow. Well, then I thought that with one pan, one kind of cake would be best.

I went with a sour cream white cake and now what to fill it with. I wasn't sure what I could do, what I could handle, I thought that a buttercream filling would be ok, but I wanted something different.

I went with Strawberry cream filling. I found a recipe online and decided that was what I wanted to do



And a view from the side


Before frosting



So far, so good! Now for the part that really scared me. Frosting the cake. I bought an offset spatula for this occasion. I always wanted one, but never bought one. This time I did. Along with the pan that I got at 40% off.

Let's try and see what happens. I loved it, I love the spatula, it does a great job, too bad I didn't do such a nice job as the spatula did.



And another from the side



Not too bad for my first cake. I was rather pleased with it. Now my mother-in-law did say about 40-45 people. I got to thinking if this would be enough. I had enough frosting left and I had everything for a round cake. So, off I go to the kitchen and make a peanut butter cake. I figured that the 2 cakes together would be more than enough for everyone.



Ok, cakes done ready to box up. But I have one small problem. I didn't cut the board that the cake was on to fit in the box. I cut one way, but forgot to cut the other way. What to do, what to do???

I take off to the bakery, they lied, told me they didn't have anything, when I looked right at one. He told me to go to UPS store, did that, $5.38 plus tax for a box, yeah, I don't think so. Back to Hobby Lobby and pray they have a box. They did, with a window, but it was too big. That is ok, tape always holds things in place. It looked wonderful in the box.

The cake was delicious, not as many people there as originally thought, so we had enough cake for all. I didn't want to go home with the white cake, but I thought that we would go home with some of the peanut butter cake. At first, no one had cut into it, but then some got a taste of it, and it was better than the other cake.

Came home with 4 slices of the peanut butter cake, 8 chicken breasts, salad, rolls, green beans and rice.

Not too bad, we got 3 free meals out of what we ended up bringing home with us and some dessert too.

0 comments: