Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Time for some changes

We have lived here 8 years. I love my house. It isn't snotty or snooty. It isn't a dump or a hole in the wall either. It is perfect for all of us. It suits our needs and we have the most property then most of the people that live on the same street. People would love to have the land that we have.

Over the years we have done some things to the house. Painted the all white living room, all oil paint living room, to green and brown. I love the pecan color, it is a nice accent wall. We have painted Eric's room, painted the kitchen, put new flooring down in the kitchen, tore up the carpeting in the living room and moved our main stuff into the great room. I have also made curtains for most of the house.

My first project was the shower curtain for the bathroom. My neighbor showed me how to sew and she helped me create the shower curtain, all 7 yards of it. I liked it, took me a long time to pick out the fabric, and I was proud to show it off.



A few months ago, I decided that I was really tired of all that fabric hanging there, catching all the dust, toothpaste and hairspray. And that I was gonna do something different with it. I couldn't find the fabric for the curtains, I got tired of the little topper that was hanging there, so I decided to take the shower curtain down and do something with it. I knew what I wanted, it was just creating it that was gonna be a slight problem. All the measuring and numbers are not my strong point, so I had to think about all of this for a while and then go from there.

I knew that I wanted a topper for the shower and of course curtains for the window. It was just figuring out all that I needed for it. So, I came up with this.



Now the first time I made it, it didn't measure evenly across. It was a little off, so I had to take it down and work on it. I got it right. Ok, now the window was next. I made 2 curtains and hung them up, but I didn't like the way they looked with the mini blinds, I am really trying to get rid of all of them. I hate them. But the one in the bathroom was dusty, and even though Eric washed it once a month, it just didn't come out right.

I wanted the mini blind gone and something behind it. But I am so picky about what I make, that it takes me forever to find exactly what I am looking for. It has to be just right, or I won't like it at all. And then I will be disappointed in the long run.

I was shopping at Wal-Mart yesterday looking at some of the fabrics. Just looking for something to put in place of the blind. I looked at a shear cotton, didn't like it. Looked at some darker, like a cream color cotton, didn't care for that either. Walked around the corner and there it was, this material that I thought would work perfectly, but it was bridal fabric.
But it was something that I really liked. So, of course I bought that and I picked up the spring rod and went on my way.

I got home and waited until Chuck went to work, and then I went to work on what I was going to make. This stuff is a bear to work with and I don't think I will work with this much again. But I measured out the the top, sewed it, and then off to the bottom. I think it was cut crooked so, I pinned it crooked. I knew how many inches I wanted, so I had to go from there. Measure and re-pin, measure and re-pin. Finally I got it right, well almost right. It turned out nice. I was very happy with it and Chuck liked it too. He agreed with me that the blinds had to go, and it was time for a change too. I know that the sheer is really sheer, but the top curtains pull easily to close them up.



I am pleased with it. It was time for a change. Time for something different.

1 comments:

Johanna said...

Wow! Everything looks SO nice! I like the shower curtain. It actually opens up the space.

I hate mini blinds, too. We have them in the bedrooms and bath at the cabin yet and I despise them, but we haven't replaced everything quite yet.

All in due time. . .

You did a great job!